Friday 3 February 2012

New Quilt beginning...


Above is the beginning of my new quilt. The fabric is the 'Hartfield' range by Moda - I bought a layer cake over a year ago and thought I should use it instead of stroking it. I love the names of the fabrics, which are houses in Jane Austen novels, etc; my favourite author.

I decided I wanted something very simple, so cut the layers into four 5" squares and am just sewing them together by hand in rows of 10. But then I shall make lots of little cream squares and applique them where the seams meet - this will give the look of a hexagon quilt without having to make and sew hexagons. Below is the photo from the book I got it from.


So the effect is as shown in the drawing below

I think it will be harder to make and applique the corner pieces I will need to keep up the hexagon effect but I like applique and those little cream squares will look good, I think (and hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment