Wednesday 14 April 2010

Sewing again...

This the beach at Noordwijk in Holland where Stuart and I went for a couple of days last week. We were very lucky with the weather; it was warm and very sunny, cloudless skies. There was a chill wind but we ate dinner sitting outside at a beach restaurant with glass wind protection and saw a wonderful sunset.
Our hotel was at the quietest end of Noordwijk and this is how I like my beaches - wide and empty. The dog loved it too.
This photo is of one of the tulip fields as we left the Keukenhof bulb and flower gardens at Lisse in Holland. I took it from the car window as we drove by - lots of these tulip fields look like abstract paintings.

Where have I been for the last two weeks? Doing research for my family tree and I don't think I've ever done anything in my life that is so addictive. Unlike a lot of families, I don't have many anecdotes handed down about members of my family - both my parents come from large families and seem to know very little about great-aunts, cousins, etc. I have found myself intensely following the trail of documents available online and alternately getting frustrated, overjoyed, sad and incredibly excited at the thrill of the chase and the real lives that I'm discovering along the way. Quilting has been put on the back burner but now I'm back at work for the new school term and I will not have so much time and quilting will take over until the summer holidays (or maybe a bit at weekends). The problem is that an hour is not enough - there is always just another search you can do that may turn up something interesting. As I say, addictive. Off for dog walk now and then to finish Nearly Insane Block 19 which is coming along very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment